More Able Pupils
Here, at Woodmansterne Primary School, we ensure that the needs of our more able and talented children are met by:
- Having high expectations of all children.
- Providing a stimulating and challenging learning experience through carefully differentiated planning and resources.
- Using a range of teaching approaches and maximising the wonderful resources available to the school, including our extensive grounds and specialist teachers.
- Ensuring that the children are motivated and take responsibility for their learning, asking questions, solving problems and thinking for themselves.
- Closely monitoring progress so that no child is underachieving.
- Offering a wide-range of enrichment and extra-curricular opportunities so that all children get the chance to experience and explore their talents.
- Finding out more about the children’s talents and interests outside school and promoting them further.
- Encouraging and teaching our core values, Resilience, Responsibility, Respect and Reflection.
We are constantly reviewing our approach to ensure we challenge all of our children and our motto, ‘Growing Learners for Life’ is at the heart of everything we do as a school. Our aim is to ensure Woodmansterne pupils are independent, responsible, and confident about themselves as learners as they move on to secondary school and beyond.
More Able Pupils' Group
Every term, our MAGT (More Able, Gifted & Talented) Leader and TA plan a range of activities to challenge small groups of children across the school in areas such as leadership, public speaking and problem solving. The tasks are chosen to ensure the children think 'outside the box' and this, in turn, develops and deepens their wider skills and abilities.
Sporting Excellence Stream
The school runs an excellence stream which aims to identify and develop the sporting talents of our children. Each term, our Sports TA and PE leader identify children with a talent or potential talent for the focused sport of the term which include rugby, cricket and tennis. Our excellence stream then receives a bespoke programme of additional sports teaching. We also use this as an opportunity to identify children for selection to our school teams, as well as signposting them to local sports clubs and development programmes which will help to develop their talent further.
http://nrich.maths.org/public/index.php A maths resource to enrich learning
http://www.youngwriters.co.uk/ Resources and competitions for young writers
https://nace.co.uk/ A charity set up to guide and support able learners